Why Join RPEN?
Public employees (retirees AND active employees still working) presume their retirement will be protected. For that to happen, it takes attention to retirement and health care issues which, if left unattended, can cause serious problems for retirees. RPEN works to ensure those concerns are addressed.
RPEN was formed in 1976, and incorporated in 1977, by a group of Nevada public employee retirees including the state's first executive officer of PERS. These founders discovered that upon retirement, retirees not only lived on fixed incomes but saw an increasingly greater percentage of their retirement income spent for health care.
In the 1980s, RPEN helped work for the establishment of a schedule of post retirement increases for Nevada retired public employees.
RPEN has a full-time state office in Carson City. Among the services provided through this office are:
- Taking retiree issues to the state legislature.
- Testifying before legislative hearings and other important committees and panels.
- Attending meetings of the PERS board, the Public Employees Benefits Program (PEBP) board, other legislative meetings and meetings of other boards and commissions.
- Working for approval of annual post retirement increases for retired public employees.
- Protecting post retirement increases and health insurance programs affecting retired public employees.
17 Reasons To Join
Below are 17 great reasons to join RPEN!
1. Representation by at least 4 registered lobbyists at the Nevada Legislature.
2. In-depth quarterly print newsletter about public employee issues.
3. Regular e-mail communication from RPEN Executive Director and state staff.
4. 19 chapters statewide.
5. Opportunity to serve as an officer of the organization.
6. Opportunity to serve as a voting delegate in annual Board of Director meetings.
7. Group insurance rates for supplemental policies (including disability and long term care insurance).
8. Dental and vision plans.
9. Home and auto plans.
14.Flower delivery discounts.
15.Online Book discounts.
16.Rental car discounts.
And last but not least,
17.Most retirees do not realize that PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System) and PEBP (Public Employees' Benefits Program) come under fire in almost every state legislative session. One individual normally doesn't have the time, means or contacts needed to stay on top of everything that can impact their retirement or health care. This is where RPEN comes in. Where a single voice would be lost in the crowd, almost 10,000 voices can get the attention of almost anyone.
Public employees presume their retirement will always be protected.
For that to happen, it takes attention to retirement and health care issues. RPEN will always work to ensure those concerns are addressed.
For only $5.00 per month (by cash payment or monthly PERS deduction) you can be protected. That is less than the cost of a gourmet cup of coffee.
Top 10 Reasons NOT to Join RPEN
1. You don't need a salary increase.
2. You don't want a solid retirement program.
3. You believe that the Nevada Legislature wants to give money to fund Nevada Public Employees' or Retirees' needs.
4. You don't feel you deserve fair and equitable policies and procedures to govern your work experience.
5. You believe that, as an employee, your needs will always be considered above the needs of your department.
6. You believe that you need not be concerned about changes to your benefits.
7. You don't feel you need to maintain, or enhance, your current health insurance package.
8. You make so much money you don't need to participate in RPEN benefits programs.
9. You believe that RPEN lobbying power cannot be significantly enhanced by your joining the organization.
10.You want to leave all decisions regarding your compensation and benefits to politicians and bureaucrats.
DON'T KID YOURSELF - JOIN RPEN TODAY
RPEN ALWAYS NEEDS NEW MEMBERS. DO YOUR PART. CONTACT FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS.
RPEN HAS NINETEEN CHAPTERS THROUGHOUT NEVADA